Matt DiBenedetto Secures Future, Is Worried About Future



Popular underdog Matt DiBenedetto locked up his ride at Wood Bros. Racing for another year this week, inking a contract extension through 2021.  Immediately after doing so, he announced he is concerned about what the future holds for him in Nascar.

Courtesy Wikipedia

“I’m really glad to have everything sorted out for 2021”, DiBenedetto said at the virtual press conference announcing the deal.  “There’s more uncertainty than ever in this sport, and to be in the famed number 21 Ford with Penske backing really puts me in a secure place.”

“I’m really worried about what the future holds for me in Nascar”, DiBenedetto said immediately afterwards.  “There’s more uncertainty than ever in this sport, and not having a ride lined up for 2022 really puts me in a vulnerable place.”

When questioned about his seemingly contradictory feelings, DiBenedetto did little to clear up any confusion.

“There’s been a lot of uncertainty about what 2021 holds, but I’m glad to have all of that in my rearview mirror”, DiBenedetto said happily.  “I think I’ve shown that I belong here in Cup competition in a top-level ride like this one, and the only thing missing now is a win.”

“There’s been a lot of certainty about what 2021 holds, but I’m worried to have no idea what I’m doing in 2022 right in front of me”, DiBenedetto countered in a nervous, wavering tone.  “I think I’ve shown that I belong here in Cup competition in a top-level ride like this one, and the only thing missing now is a contract.  Oh, and a win would probably help too.”

DiBenedetto has captured a number of fans’ imagination with his “rags to riches” story rising through the ranks of the sport with little financial or commercial support.  He seems to be keen to continue that rise regardless of what the distant future holds.

“I won’t rest until this team is in victory lane”, DiBenedetto said, before adding, “I won’t rest until I have a ride lined up for 2022.”