Marcos Ambrose and Casey Mears weren't the only ones duking it out in Richmond--the competitors in the Spade Racing Lowbuck Team Tournament were in a fight to the finish/DNF on the track. Here's the results from round one:
(remember--the top four seeds had first-round byes)
8. 23 (Alex Bowman) over 9. 98 (Josh Wise)--Bowman put in a yeoman effort coming home 28th, while Wise battled issues all night to come home 39th.
5. 34 (David Ragan) over 12. 83 (Ryan Truex)--Much like in March Madness, the 5 vs. 12 battle turned out to be ripe for an upset…however, Ragan edged Truex by a single position (30th against 31st) to move on.
7. 7 (Michael Annett) over 10. 32 (Travis Kvapil)--Young beat (relatively) Old as Annett came home 33rd, while Kvapil settled for 36th.
11. 33 (David Stremme) over 6. 26 (Cole Whitt)--And we have our first upset! Stremme took advantage of the turmoil at his former team, finishing 25th to Whitt's 40th.
As the tournament moves into the quarterfinals, here's the matchups for Talladega:
1. 51 (Justin Allgaier) vs. 8. (Alex Bowman)
2. 38 (David Gilliland) vs. 7. (Michael Annett)
3. 36 (Reed Sorenson) vs. 11. 33 (David Stremme)
4. 40 (Landon Cassill) vs. 5. 34 (David Ragan)